A few weeks ago, we were given the task of writing a 2000 word essay on an emerging technology. I chose to base my essay on hand drawn games, and went with this title:
‘Since the rise in popularity of hand drawn games such as Cuphead, will more developers opt to draw their games physically rather than digitally?’
After finishing the essay we had to do a presentation on what we had researched. In the presentation, i talked about hand drawn games that are currently popular, the history of traditional animation, and new technology that artists can use. Doing presentations like these is beneficial to our learning – we gain confidence and it prepares us for presenting things in industry.
This week, our class began our Game Jam Assessment. The task for this was to make our own 2D platformer from scratch. In our temporary accounts, we were provided with some premade assets for us to use, this was to save time and allow us to focus on writing the code. Since it was an open book assessment, we were allowed all of our notes with us, which was very helpful as i find it difficult to remember code.
According to the list, the core features of what we had to include were:
- Obstacles in the way of the player
- At least 3 moving guards
- If the player hits an enemy/bullet the game should restart
- If the guard spots the player, it should stop and fire at them
- When the player moves out of sight, the guard should resume movement
I successfully managed to complete all of these, however my enemy sprites do not face the direction they are moving. This troubled me a bit, since i did not remember how to do the face direction script, but in the end it did not matter because that wasn’t on the list of marking criteria. Overall i think i did quite well, considering it was my first ever games test, i was even one of the first people to finish.
Today in Ant’s lesson i started assembling my assets in Unity. Most of the assets are ones i made on illustrator, but some of them – a stack of plates, toaster, etc – are from Kenney Assets.
The level i made today is the kitchen, and the next one i will do is the sitting area of the restaurant. What i need to work on now is adding the code to make the player move, and then the enemies.
Today we did character rigging using expression controls. We used a robot character that had already been made in illustrator, and made its arms flail about in a very fluid lifelike way.
parent up each section
move center point with ‘pan behind tool’
adjustment layer called control
add ‘angle control’ to it
open rotation on shoulder section of arm
alt click on stopwatch
drag and connect it to the word angle in the angle control bit
select the same arm bit along with its rotation, then copy
select rest of arm pieces and press r, then paste
(now arm can swirl)
- paint brush tool
- f7 after each drawing to create a new keyframe and be able to see the previous drawing (onion skin)
To make it run slower, i had to click on each keyframe and press F5. This made an identical frame straight after each one.
For the square above i inserted a simple motion tween and altered its movement by dragging its path around.
For the one below
- Create square
- Convert to symbol
- Insert motion tween
- Move somewhere
- Double click it
- Convert to symbol again
- Insert motion tween
- Make square smaller