This is what the first three pages of the artbook will probably look like. After the title page, the first page is dedicated to initial concept art, putting this at the start will help to show our improvement. After that there will be pages showing final characters – some that won’t be in game. These will be grouped by what type of character they are, e.g. 2D characters, 3D characters, and pixel characters.
When i was organizing these pages, i found that when i put the concept art next to the finished character, the character doesn’t really stand out. In Photoshop, i messed around with the layer styles (by double clicking layer) and found that outer glow makes a cool effect. It usually adds an outline to an image, but when i changed the contour setting it made the characters look like stickers. This draws your eye and helps differentiate the concept from the final image. To improve i will change the font of each character’s name so that it matches their theme.
One of the main things we have to make alongside our game is an art book. This should contain the best art everyone has done throughout the project, like characters, models and backgrounds. So far we know what the first page will look like, and the background of the rest.
The front page displays our Design Dispute logo front and centre. It then has the names and job roles of everyone in the group, e.g. i’m a 2D/3D artist. For inspiration we researched artbooks from other games. Among the ones we looked at, we found that a faded background with some pattern looked best, so we came up with the idea to do a collage of everyone’s art.
Today i did some concepts of what the health UI could look like. I tested to see whether colour swaps looked good, and to see if the hearts looked better with or without outlines. If all the characters had these sort of hearts, i could slightly alter them per character: they would be blue and frosty for Pobo (as shown above), be green and spiky for El Spikey Juan, etc.
Since each character has their own style, we decided that a stretch goal could be that we give each type of character their own UI; e.g. all 3D characters (like Wattson) would have 3D health bars. Above is what Pobo’s hearts might look like, since his style is 2D and simplistic.
However, i think my team would like a health bar/valve instead of rows of hearts, this makes sense since it could look neater and be easier to code for damage.
In Design Dispute, each of the characters are in different styles, and should have their own level that matches them. So, since one of our characters is a stickman, his designated level could be a notebook. I’ve been concepting out what it could look like, and what special features/animations it could have.
In Pobo’s arctic level, we could have platforms that are slippery or that melt/fall away. This would add extra difficulty to the level and make it more interesting for the players. For Doodle’s level, i thought that parts of the pages could be torn off or scribbled on so that the platforms are unusable.
I’ve been working on an updated version of Pobo the penguin. I went over the lines in Illustrator, and coloured him with the same rough brush as the arctic level. To match the basic animation in his level, i tested what his walkcycle and attack (throw snowballs) would look like. For these to work in game he will probably need some sort of sprite sheet, with the arm and feet as separate assets.
Today i split up the scene into the static background and animated assets. Things look a little different since i found a cool brush in Photoshop; the texture of it looks like a rough crayon, which fits the theme of the level. In the level, the sun and the iceberg will have choppy animation. In Unity, Adam will put in the background, then layer the assets on top and animate them.
Today i worked the Arctic level. Before i could start i needed the correct dimensions from Unity, which was 16×9. In Photoshop, this translated to 1024×576 pixels. Using the concept as a colour and shape guide, i drew the lines in Illustrator. I then brought the lineart into Photoshop, where i experimented with brushes to find a rough textured one. Once i found one, i coloured over the lines to fit in with the ‘child drawing’ theme. In the finished level, there will be animated parts like the sun and the iceberg.