This week, our class began our Game Jam Assessment. The task for this was to make our own 2D platformer from scratch. In our temporary accounts, we were provided with some premade assets for us to use, this was to save time and allow us to focus on writing the code. Since it was an open book assessment, we were allowed all of our notes with us, which was very helpful as i find it difficult to remember code.
According to the list, the core features of what we had to include were:
- Obstacles in the way of the player
- At least 3 moving guards
- If the player hits an enemy/bullet the game should restart
- If the guard spots the player, it should stop and fire at them
- When the player moves out of sight, the guard should resume movement
I successfully managed to complete all of these, however my enemy sprites do not face the direction they are moving. This troubled me a bit, since i did not remember how to do the face direction script, but in the end it did not matter because that wasn’t on the list of marking criteria. Overall i think i did quite well, considering it was my first ever games test, i was even one of the first people to finish.
Today in Ant’s lesson i continued working on my 2D game. The first thing that i did was create a system where if the player touches an enemy the level will restart. To get the code for this i watched the coding videos on the college moodle. As well as reacting to enemy collision, i also made it so that when the player reaches the goal (in this case the exit door) the collision will start the next level – i have yet to add anything to this level however.
After achieving this i decided to add projectiles to the enemies. Through a few scripts(‘autofire’, ‘projectile’), rigidbodies, and a bullet prefab, i managed to do so. The enemy chefs now throw knives, i like how the knives react to the environment – bouncing off walls/getting stuck. The level is also restarts when the player touches one of the knives.
Today in our coding lesson i added enemies to the game, in this case they are chefs that i made. To these enemies i attached a waypoint script to give them movement, then messed around with the coordinates to make them follow a path.
After that i added box and polygon colliders to everything in the scene so that they can be bumped into. I then added code that made the player face the direction they are moving, rather than being a static image. A problem i came across was that the player’s character automatically reverted to it’s original rotation when not moving, the solution was to add “if (direction.magnitude > 0) ” to the code.
Next i will make the chefs throw knives, and i will give them a line of sight so that they only throw the knives when they see the player.
Today in Ant’s lesson i started assembling my assets in Unity. Most of the assets are ones i made on illustrator, but some of them – a stack of plates, toaster, etc – are from Kenney Assets.
The level i made today is the kitchen, and the next one i will do is the sitting area of the restaurant. What i need to work on now is adding the code to make the player move, and then the enemies.
In Ant’s lesson we started working on our new individual games, of which the theme is top down shooter.
My idea is that of a restaurant – the player is a rat, and the enemies are chefs throwing knives.
I started working on a few of the assets, such as the characters and the kitchen background.
Side note: A good place to get inspiration for assets is https://kenney.nl/assets
In class we had to come up with ideas for new games, which we are going to create.
With similar controls to the spaceship game we all made, i want to make a game centered around ghosts. The playable character will be a ghost (who looks sad). The objective is to progress while avoiding malevolent spirits; who reset the level if touched.
This is my idea so far for the player, and the other ghost the player is travelling to:
These are the basic shapes that i used to create the scene. I used normal shape tools (not primitive ones). To make the curves i used the selection tool, hovered over the line and dragged. For the bottom left one i held alt and clicked to make another corner.
I turned each shape into a movie clip so that they would be added to the library.
I separated the scene up into different sections/layers, so that some shapes would be in front of others.
This is the scene that i ended up with, it is a spooky house/hotel next to a graveyard. I like the way it turned out, and i like the silhouette style.