This week, our class began our Game Jam Assessment. The task for this was to make our own 2D platformer from scratch. In our temporary accounts, we were provided with some premade assets for us to use, this was to save time and allow us to focus on writing the code. Since it was an open book assessment, we were allowed all of our notes with us, which was very helpful as i find it difficult to remember code.
According to the list, the core features of what we had to include were:
- Obstacles in the way of the player
- At least 3 moving guards
- If the player hits an enemy/bullet the game should restart
- If the guard spots the player, it should stop and fire at them
- When the player moves out of sight, the guard should resume movement
I successfully managed to complete all of these, however my enemy sprites do not face the direction they are moving. This troubled me a bit, since i did not remember how to do the face direction script, but in the end it did not matter because that wasn’t on the list of marking criteria. Overall i think i did quite well, considering it was my first ever games test, i was even one of the first people to finish.